This recipe is from Allyson Gofton. We have made it a lot over the years. Its packed full of nuts, dried fruit and oats. You can reduce the sugar content. The less sugar the more crumbly.
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 1½ cups sultanas
- ½ cup wheatgerm
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup liquid honey
- 200 grams buttter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 degress Celsius. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin.
- In a bowl mix together the wholemeal flour, rolled oats, sultanas, wheatgerm and sunflower seeds. Make a well in the centre.
- In a small saucepan heat the honey, butter, brown sugar and vanilla essence, only until the butter has melted. Do not allow the mixture to come to the boil or become too hot. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl and mix together.
- Spread into the prepared tin and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Mark into bars with a very sharp knife while warm.